Painting is the way I process my experience of nature.
With growing concern that our wilderness and forests are slowly being eaten up by industry, it is very important to me that I paint a personalized interpretation of the landscape around me. Travelling to personally experience and internalize these areas, part of the process of building a body of work includes field work. Through extensive road trips, hiking, sketching, plein air painting and photographic detail images, I document various North American terrains and geographies.
Compositional development continues in my studio. Through both an additive and subtractive painting process with brushes and palette knives, paintings are continually analyzed and adjusted. I often work on several pieces at once, going back and forth as the mood strikes.
Through the time-honoured strategies of painting, I aim to convey to the viewer my experience of ‘being’ and walking in the landscape and wilderness, creating a record of the sublime before it disappears.
Catherine E. Schissel is a landscape artist best known for her portrayal of Canada’s woodlands. Recently, seascapes and coastal scenes have also become strong subject matter. She began her career as an artist when she was living in the East Kootenay region of British Columbia where she was raised. She acquired a love for prairie landscapes while living on a farm in Alberta. Before moving to Ontario, Catherine exhibited in galleries, solo shows and group exhibits in Alberta and British Columbia.
An avid hiker and photographer, her art is inspired by places she has travelled and spent some time time exploring. She often sketches on location and the pieces come to life in her studio environment.
Open studios and international travel to attend workshops covering a wide range of visual art disciplines continues to have an impact on her work. Her work is in private and corporate collections across Canada, the U.S., and Europe.
She now lives and maintains a studio in Stittsville, Ontario.
- Arteast Juried Awards Exhibition (AJAE), February 2021
- Juror’s Choice Award
- Opaque Acrylic: 1st place
- Ottawa Art Association, Fall Award Show, November 2016, “Escarpment Ice” Members 1st Choice Award Acrylic
- West Carleton Art Society, “Expressions of Art” Exhibit, October 2014, “In My Element” People’s Choice Award
- Nepean Fine Arts League Members Show, June 2014, “Sumac Pond” Award of Excellence in Acrylics, and Members 1st Choice award
- Nepean Fine Arts League 50th Anniversary Spring Show and Sale, March 2014, “On the Edge” Best in Show.
Recent Shows and Exhibits
- 2022, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, West Carleton Arts Society, “Expressions of Art” Exhibit, Carp, Ontario, juried
- 2022, 2019, 2018, Glebe Fine Arts Show, Group Exhibition, Ottawa, juried
- 2022, Manotick Art Association “Inspirations Show and Sale”, Manotick, juried
- 2020 – 2022, Artprior Gallery, Arnprior, Ontario, Group Exhibit
- 2019, 2018, 2017, Buckhorn Festival of the Arts , Group Exhibition, Buckhorn Community Centre, Buckhorn, Ontario, juried
- 2019, Ottawa Group of Five at the Cube
- 2019, 2017, Nepean Fine Arts League Members Show, Ben Franklin Place, Ottawa
- 2019, 2017, 2016, 2015, West Carleton Arts Society, Group Exhibitions, City of Ottawa, Plant Bath Recreation Centre, Ottawa, juried
- 2017, Christmas in Carp, Carp Memorial Hall, Carp
- 2017, Nepean Fine Arts League Members Show, Ben Franklin Place, Ottawa
- 2017, Nepean Fine Arts League, Fall Sale, Ukrainian Centre, Ottawa
- 2016, Red Trillium Studio Tour, Group Exhibition, Ottawa, juried
- 2016, West Carleton Arts Society, Group Exhibition, Ottawa City Hall
- 2016, 2015, Nepean Fine Arts League, Spring Show and Sale, Ukrainian Centre, Ottawa
- 2016, Red Trillium Studio and Garden Tour, Ottawa, juried
- 2016, 2015, Ottawa Art Association, Group Exhibitions, Ottawa Little Theatre, 400 King Edward Avenue, Ottawa,
- 2016, South of 60 Arts Centre, Group Exhibit, The Railway Station, Barry’s Bay, Ontario, juried
Conferences and Workshops
- 2021, Realism Live
- 2021, Plein Air Live
- 2021, Pastel Live
- 2020, Realism Live
- Ottawa Plein Air Painters
- National Oil and Acrylic Painters (NOAP) Society
- West Carleton Arts Society
- Ottawa West Art Association
- Arteast, Ottawa
- Manotick Art Association