My art has taken me down many different paths. Early in my career I often spent time sketching and painting in the Rocky Mountains of British Columbia. I furthered my interest in colour and composition taking Fashion and Design in college and later, enrolled in Fine Arts at the University of Edmonton, Alberta.
My recent inspiration comes from a road trip to Western Canada. The Maritimes, Algonquin Park, Gatineau Hills, and the Laurentians continues to influence my work.
I am primarily working with acrylics and oils. Layers of paint and glazes are evident to capture the depth of my subject matter and loose mark making, strong shapes and shadows are apparent. I often work on several paintings at once when developing a new series.
I continually strive to develop a painted language to capture the fleeting essence of nature’s behavior and my objective is to pass this on to the viewer.
Catherine E. Schissel is a landscape artist best known for her portrayal of Canada’s woodlands. Recently, seascapes and coastal scenes have also become strong subject matter. She began her career as an artist when she was living in the East Kootenay region of British Columbia where she was raised. She acquired a love for prairie landscapes while living on a farm in Alberta. Before moving to Ontario, Catherine exhibited in galleries, solo shows and group exhibits in Alberta and British Columbia.
An avid hiker and photographer, her art is inspired by places she has travelled and spent some time time exploring. She often sketches on location and the pieces come to life in her studio environment.
Open studios and international travel to attend workshops covering a wide range of visual art disciplines continues to have an impact on her work. Her work is in private and corporate collections across Canada, the U.S., and Europe.
She now lives and maintains a studio in Stittsville, Ontario.
- Nepean Fine Arts League Fall Sale, October 2017, People’s Choice
- Ottawa Art Association, Fall Award Show, November 2016, “Escarpment Ice” Members 1st Choice Award Acrylic
- West Carleton Art Society, “Expressions of Art” Exhibit, October 2014, “In My Element” People’s Choice Award
- Nepean Fine Arts League Members Show, June 2014, “Sumac Pond” Award of Excellence in Acrylics, and Members 1st Choice award
- Nepean Fine Arts League 50th Anniversary Spring Show and Sale, March 2014, “On the Edge” Best in Show.
Recent Shows and Exhibits
- 2019, 2017, Nepean Fine Arts League Members Show, Ben Franklin Place, Ottawa
- 2019, 2017, 2016, 2015, West Carleton Arts Society, Group Exhibitions, City of Ottawa, Plant Bath Recreation Centre, Ottawa, juried
- 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, West Carleton Arts Society, “Expressions of Art” Exhibit, Carp, Ontario, juried
- 2018, Glebe Fine Arts Show, Group Exhibition, Ottawa, juried
- 2018, 2017, Buckhorn Fine Art Festival, Group Exhibition, Buckhorn Community Centre, Buckhorn, Ontario, juried
- 2017, Christmas in Carp, Carp Memorial Hall, Carp
- 2017, Nepean Fine Arts League Members Show, Ben Franklin Place, Ottawa
- 2017, Nepean Fine Arts League, Fall Sale, Ukrainian Centre, Ottawa
- 2016, Red Trillium Studio Tour, Group Exhibition, Ottawa, juried
- 2016, West Carleton Arts Society, Group Exhibition, Ottawa City Hall
- 2016, 2015, Nepean Fine Arts League, Spring Show and Sale, Ukrainian Centre, Ottawa
- 2016, Red Trillium Studio and Garden Tour, Ottawa, juried
- 2016, 2015, Ottawa Art Association, Group Exhibitions, Ottawa Little Theatre, 400 King Edward Avenue, Ottawa,
- 2016, South of 60 Arts Centre, Group Exhibit, The Railway Station, Barry’s Bay, Ontario, juried
- West Carleton Arts Society
- Nepean Fine Arts League
- Ottawa School of Art
- Arts Network Ottawa
- Arteast, Ottawa